Wednesday 9 February 2011

If you go down to the woods today

Well, 3 days ago actually (illness has prevented me from writing up this run sooner).

After another lovely (flat!) run along the railway track last Friday, I decided that I should push myself a bit and go for a run in the forest.

Now don't get me wrong, the forest is very beautiful and idyllic and I like it very much. However, it is also extremely hilly, there are muddy patches you could sink a landrover in (ok, slight exaggeration) and many of the paths are so riddled with tree roots that I'm amazed I emerged without, at the very least, a twisted ankle.

It certainly wasn't restful, meditative, I'll-just-switch-off-my-brain-for-next-half-an-hour-so type running. I had to be vigilant.

I was especially worried about the hills, as I've struggled with hills in the past and there are some ultra-steep ones in the forest. However, even though I did find it a struggle to regain a decent pace after I'd dragged myself up the first hill, I didn't at any point feel that I needed to stop and I managed to keep going right until the end.

So yay!

I'm going to aim for the longer forest route next time (just over 5K and scarier hills): wish me luck :-).

Stats
Distance: 3.4K
Time: 29 minutes 56 seconds
Average K pace: 8 minutes 48 seconds

1 comment:

Mark said...

Very well done - some of those hills are killers!