Sunday 30 January 2011

Running or sleeping? How to choose...

Well, not that long ago, the choice would have been simple enough: S L E E P I N G.

But oh how times have changed...

Yesterday was a pretty tiring day (which involved me driving on the M25 for the first time ever - and I didn't crash or anything! Woo!) so this morning, sleeping in seemed like the sensible option.

I'm certainly not the kind of girl to say no to extra sleep :-).

Yes, I was planning to fit in a training run before I needed to leave to collect Jake. But hey, that wasn't 'til midday - I had loads of time.

At least that's what I thought, until Mark and I properly woke up and saw that the time was now fast approaching 11.00 am.

Oops...

There was a moment there where I had a very clear choice to make: part of me was thinking 'oh, forget it - just stay in bed. You can go running some other time. Ooh, it's so warm in here... mmm lovely... why do you want to go out in the cold, you silly thing??', whereas the other part of me was thinking 'Get up now, while you still have time! You can't waste this opportunity to go for a training run - you might not get the chance again for a while. Come on come on come on!'

And, surprisingly, I actually did get up.

Admittedly, I was fairly reluctant and whingey about it but I got up all the same.

This run felt far more difficult than my first training run. First of all, this run was on roads/pavements rather than a lovely, squidgy woodland path. Secondly, there were quite a few hills to tackle (not least the ridiculously steep slope that leads up to my house). And thirdly, within a few minutes I started to suffer from a horrible running-induced headache.

As a result of all this, I found it harder to maintain the cheery outlook I had cultivated during last week's run. Plus it seemed to take more effort to keep my shoulders relaxed and to stop my feet from dragging.

Still, our imminent departure for Wales kept the run relatively short and I at least now have a little bit of experience of running on roads.

And, you know, I could have just stayed in bed :-).

Stats for this run:

Distance: 3.78K
Time: 32.06
Average pace per K: 8.29

4 comments:

Mark said...

Getting up and out when you don't really feel like it shows really deserves a lot of praise :-)

Hayley said...

Aww, thanks sweetie :-) xxx

Anonymous said...

How's the training going? I've started running again but I don't go very far or for very long! Al xxx

Hayley said...

Al: It's going ok, thanks :-). I was expecting major dramas but actually (touch wood!) it all seems to be going pretty smoothly so far.

Hope everything goes well with your running too! Maybe we could go for a run together next time you visit :-) xxx.