Sunday 24 April 2011

There was a (young) lady who swallowed a fly

If you're wondering why she swallowed that fly...

...it's because that fly decided to fly into her mouth while she was running today.

Mark (as I spat it out on horror): You'll have to get used to that. That happens a lot while you're running. Just swallow 'em down: it's all protein.

Me: Bleurghhh!!!

Happy as I am that Spring (or, hey, we could even call it Summer at the moment) has arrived, it brings with it certain conditions that are making running training a bit more difficult. The first, as I discovered this morning to my cost, is the sudden appearance of buzzing hoards of flies who seem to want to set up residence in my mouth. The second is the heat. Running in hot, bright sunlight is not fun for solar-phobes like me. I like shade! Shade!!

Still, with much encouragement from Mark, I managed to drag myself out in it this morning. It wasn't easy. My health still isn't really 100% and there were a few moments where I felt like I couldn't go on. Luckily for me, I had Mark there to chivvy me along and offer words of advice and encouragement where necessary.

I felt quite down on myself during the run and a little despairing that I will ever be able to make the 8.5 miles of the Great Midlands Fun Run without stopping (especially as there are now only a few weeks to go). However, despite all this negativity and hopelessness, I actually managed to run just over 7K and in a pretty good time as well.

I think I may need to step up my training a bit over the next few weeks if I want to fulfil my goal of running the whole 8.5 miles without stopping to walk. Happily, though, that goal doesn't seem quite as unattainable as it did earlier today. I think I just need to try and build up some momentum.

Anyway, stats for this run:

Distance: 7.25K
Time: 1 hour 3 minutes and 24 seconds
Average K pace: 8 minutes 44 seconds

No comments: